Monday, April 13

April the perfect time to organise your yarn stash!



With April being the month of Great Spring Cleaning it was perfect to write a post about 

 about how to clear out our stash, organise our supplies and make way for new stock which is an exciting moment for all makers and why not pick up a new craft!
As this month sees the start of the Spring Love Crafts gives us the opportunity to tell a bit about  our yarn stash and get the chance to be the  #Star Maker of the Month by writing posts inspired by these questions:


1. How do you organise your craft supplies? Give us a tour of your stash!
2. What other craft have you always wanted to try and haven't had time to yet?
3. If you were introducing your craft to a newbie, what advice would you give them?

Some of my best childhood memories during this time of the year revolve around my mother making the great Spring cleaning of the house getting ready for Easter! It's an old tradition in Greece. Dusting all surfaces was a responsibility for me and my sister. 
I will always be grateful to my mother for she taught us cleaning and organising and still does.



I am always trying to keep my stash in order.I do not have a crochet studio in my house. A small corner in the living room is where I have my working table-office, my dining's room buffet and my containers with yarn in a corner.
I had to choose a sorting system to group my yarns and I finally organised my bins into the following categories: fiber, weight and colour. So now it is much easier to find a particular skein.
Usually I start a lot of projects before really finishing and I keep all this in separate bins in a closet.
The buffet of my dining room is now a yarn storing furniture
Several containers carry my cotton, viscose yarns , 2-3 of them are white, beige , light grey colours, another two carry light pinks, mint, light blue and finally in separate box I keep all vivid colours such as red, fuschia, green, yellow,turquoise.
Then come acrylic yarns and mixed ones, acrylic with wool, merino yarns and alpaca yarns. Many boxes carry all shades of grey worsted yarns and in separate boxes bulky yarns in grey shades as well. 
I love merino yarns and I have purchased many shades in forest green, in dusty pink which I am using a lot in my crocheting, in dark grey which I consider to be a very elegant shade for shawls and sweaters.
It makes you feel accomplished when you finally sit down and enjoy that fresh-organised containers.
Yarn is so important for me!
My working table in the living room

 I learned how to crochet by my grand mother when I was 10, a very dear person to me as my other grandmother as well! Both were constantly crocheting lace patterns and we are fortunate to have many of their special creations.  I often think of them with love and  thank them for this gift. Knitting came later in my life and I love it equally!

Yarn is a source of inspiration for me and I keep an open basket full of different skeins and many colours  near my couch,  I really need this basket by me as pretty often I grab my hook and try a new stitch, its the favorite time of my day!



My Aspen Crochet Shrug with yarn from LoveCrafts

Sewing is what I want to do next, I know how to sew but I have no time for the moment, I dream of buying all sorts of fabrics and  make clothes, home accessories, kitchen towels...
With such a vibrant sewing community around of creative bloggers , with a big help of free tutorials it becomes easy to learn. And the more you sew the better you get. 







My answer in the last question is not exactly an advise to a newbie it's more like a prompt ...to look inside their heart and find that creativity hidden, this is the essence of happiness!
We all love communicating , enjoying watching series, travelling,but I beleive what really makes you thrilled, enthusiastic and happy is to create something with your mind  and hands!
This collaboration of mind and hands is creativity and this is what a newbie in crocheting, knitting, stitching, sewing will feel from the very first moment of accomplishment of a foundation chain for the first time, a granny square later, a simple construction garment that will proudly wear or gift to a loved one!




Pretty often I hear this phrase from people " Oh I wish I could do that!" I answer it's really not as difficult as you think! Give it a try you will make it step by step!

Look at me! I am greek and so I am not a native english speaker, I have to struggle to write down a post and I had to make a big effort to achieve writing my patterns in english. 
I was determined though as I love my crochet and knitting world  , its sort of doing what I used to do my whole life, designing clothes for our family children wear business.
LoveCrafts has been a great help for me, they opened a path to aladdin's cave, a cave of yarn wonders as I find yarns I love and suggest them for my patterns , this way I am connected to my crochet community.


And what is very important to my opinion is to pass on our skills to the next generation just like our grandmothers did!



Many thanks to Love Crafts for this prompt and for running the #TogetherWeMake programme!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will be very glad to read your comment!